Thursday, January 26, 2012

4. John Adams - Harmonium


Well, if I'm going to get into classical music, this won't be the album to do it.

I've always had a mild appreciation for classical and enjoyed its influence on rock (ELP) and jazz (Charlie Parker) and loved Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony in college - but choral classical music just doesn't do the trick for me.

Oh well - they're not all going to be enjoyable - and the next album takes me even further down the rabbit hole - if I survive it...

2 comments:

  1. Haha, good luck on the next one Dan! My least favorite entry in the book (out of 500+ I have heard so far). It's not on Spotify to my knowledge, though, so you may catch a break (I found most of it on youtube). I'm working my way through the book at my blog as well-- our taglines are surprisingly similar-- and have links to other folks doing the same. I'll be sure to add yours. I also have a page dedicated to links to streaming music of the entries, because as you mentioned, it's a serious bit of work trying to find each one. The page is http://recordingtherecordings.blogspot.com/p/stream-recordings.html so if you can't find one on Spotify, take a look. Good luck on a great musical journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike - thanks for checking out my blog! Yours looks great - it's nice to be a new member of this "community." I did listen to a Spotify recording of Klinghoffer... or some of it at least. I'm going to break the rules a bit, as you'll see in my next post. I'm glad to hear that I may have hit the low point already - it would have been disheartening if one out of ever six or seven was like that...

    ReplyDelete