Thursday, January 19, 2012

2. Muhal Richard Abrams - Blu Blu Blu


Number two dives into jazz - nice.  I'm definitely looking forward to reconnecting with some great jazz.  In the early 90's, I went through a phase where I listened to nothing for jazz for about three years - morning, noon and night.

It began innocuously enough - I joined the Columbia Jazz Club and got some classics in the mail - Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Errol Garner, Herbie Hancock.  But for a while it was just nice background or dinner music.

Then I discovered Joshua Redman and my ears just opened.  Here was this guy who was about my age playing an incredibly fresh and exciting form of jazz - and jazz versions of pop songs too.  We went to go see him in concert a few times and fell even deeper for it.  Joshua Redman was a gateway for me to start working backwards and listen passionately to all the greats - Sonny Rollins, Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Ornette Coleman.

Suddenly my radio had only two presets - WBGO and WKCR (home of the great Phil Schapp - if you want to read about my memorable encounter with him, click here).  I'd check the mailbox each day for a new issue of Downbeat.  I could listen to a recording by Miles or Monk and name every musician playing in the session.  Lunch hours were spent at HMV on 72 and Broadway with JK - one of the jazz buyers there - getting introduced to more and more great stuff.   At night, JK and I would hit the Vanguard or Iridium to see jazz guys old and young.

At some point, I faded away from jazz and moved back into folk, bluegrass (which has a lot more in common with jazz than you might think) and rock - but it was great to be so so so passionate about something.

Which brings me to Muhal Richard Abrams.  I'd never heard of him before listening to this album, and I really like a lot of it - it falls between traditional and free jazz.  I always liked free jazz in limited quantities.  It's like drinking a complex, bitter and hoppy beer - delicious and satisfying - but you wouldn't have more than one. (ok, maybe two)

If you want to check out a great track that starts out slow, but builds to an amazing kick-ass jam, give Bloodline a spin...

No comments:

Post a Comment