Saturday, February 9, 2013

11. Mahmoud Ahmed - Ere Mela Mela


Not surprisingly, I don't understand one word sung on this album by Ethopian singer Mahmoud Ahmed, but I still kind of like it.

Listening to this album seemed to be a good excuse to write about music and lyrics.  We often hear the question: "Are you a music person or lyrics person?"  As someone who spends a good deal of his career writing, I would have assumed that I would fall in the lyrics category, but it's definitely not the case.

Oh sure, there are plenty of great lyrics that are always bouncing around my head:

Each of us – a cell of awareness - imperfect and incomplete.  Genetic blends with uncertain ends, on a fortune hunt that's far too fleet…

She sits on the porch of her Daddy's house, but all her pretty dreams are torn.  She stares off alone into the night with the eyes of one who hates for just being born…

They're a band beyond description - like Jehovah's favorite choir. People joining hand in hand, while the music plays the band - Lord they're setting us on fire…

But in general, the singer is just another instrument in the band and listening to his or her voice is part of the journey of a song.  If you asked me what as song was "about" I'd tend to have no clue whatsoever.

That being said, I really wish I understood what happens in the second half of the story told in "Racing in the Streets"

No comments:

Post a Comment