Sunday, March 30, 2014

19. Marian Anderson - Spirituals

When the first notes of this album began to play, a sense of dread filled me.  Of all the musical styles I love... opera isn't on it.  Having seen the song list, I was looking forward to hearing this.  Many of the songs I knew from versions done by some of my favorite artists, including Jerry Garcia, Pete Seeger, The Wayfaring Strangers and others.

But this was opera - and there were 30 songs on the album!

I gave it a chance, and within a few songs, I was really into it.  Her voice is rich and smokey, like a good porter, and works perfectly with with the subject matter - songs of religion and the pain of slavery.

I'm not sure this is something I'd listen to all the time, but I'm really glad I stuck with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment