Thursday, February 9, 2012

7. Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker


A few years ago, when I was living in Cincinnati, my colleague/friend Stephanie loaned me this CD to check out.  My reaction then was almost identical to the one I had in 2012.  I vividly remember driving on 275 when IT happened.

The album has one of the most bizarre openings ever - about 30 seconds of Ryan Adams and David Rawlings arguing about which album or albums a Morrissey song is on.  After that, it kicks into some good Americana that's feels like Bob Dylan and the Band.

Then Amy happens.

This song is so beautiful that it grabs you right by the throat and doesn't let you go.  Frankly, I think it's as good as anything written by the Beatles ("For No One" from Revolver has a similar simplicity and beauty).

After that comes a gorgeous duet with Emmylou Harris and the rest of the album never coasts from there.

An amazing album.


2 comments:

  1. I always thought "Amy" was a pretty good song, but the one that rocked my socks off is "Oh My Sweet Carolina." Emmylou Harris duets are pretty much always great, but this combination, and the sadness and longing of the whole thing are amazing. And on top of that, is Carolina a state or a girl? Plus, it mentions Cleveland (negatively, I guess) and that's always bonus points for a native Ohioan like me.

    The first time I ever heard the name Ryan Adams was because I went to his concert. My buddy had an extra ticket, and once I got there I realized I knew tons of his stuff. Been a fan since then (about 2002)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya, and agree that you can't go wrong with anything Emmylou!

    Funny, I had a similar experience with Wilco - we were at the Tall Stacks Festival in Cincinnati watching Medeski Martin & Wood and my brother said: "Hey, you want to go check out Wilco?" I had never heard one song by them, but thought they were just some alt-country band.

    Once I picked my jaw off the ground... the love affair with them has never abated.

    ReplyDelete